- Fact 1: Scrimshaw date back to mid-1600s and were most often made from sperm whale teeth.
- Fact 2: Other scrimshaw materials included walrus tusks, whale bones, and elephant tusks.
- Fact 3: A person who makes scrimshaw is known as a "scrimshander".
- Fact 4: Because whaling was so dangerous, the sailors could not work at night. The seamen turned to creating scrimshaw to pass this extra time.
- Fact 5: Dry scrimshaw can be cared for by filling the center of the whale's tooth with baby oil, which will then be absorbed by the microscopic pores in the ivory.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.