This item can be restored. Please see Wayne Gas Pump/Restoration
Classic gas pumps are an iconic part of American history. Collectors love these things.
- Fact 1: Sylvanus F. Bowser invented the gas pump in Indiana in 1885, before the invention of the automobile.
- Fact 2: The Wayne Oil Tank Company began in 1891, and developed their first successful commercial gas pump in 1907.
- Fact 3: Before the development of computers, early gas pumps had glass tubes or spheres attached which pre-measured the gasoline going back into a tank.
- Fact 4: Gasoline's density varies widely by temperature, making it notoriously hard to measure accurately.
- Fact 5: Many safety features have been added to fuel pumps over the years, including automatic cutoff valves and vapor guards.