I wouldn't have expected this to be a real military knife, but it is. This must have cut through the jungle like butter.
- Fact 1: The V-44 (officially the Collins No. 18 Machete) was issued to US Marines in the Pacific theater of WWII as part of a jungle-survival "bailout kit".
- Fact 2: Jungle Emergency Sustenance Kits were issued to airmen and Marines incase of a crash landing or parachute escape in the field.
- Fact 3: Other items issued in bailout kits include a filled canteen, fishing line, rain poncho, compass, and first aid kit.
- Fact 4: During WWII, military supply production was outsourced to thousands of contracted companies in the US. This knife was prooduced by Kinfolks, Inc. of Williamsburg, VA.
- Fact 5: The V-44's large, heavy blade was selected for cutting through the dense jungle foliage common to Pacific islands.