If you put the tip of your finger inside the barrel, you can actually pull out some blackpowder residue. There's no doubt that this is an authentic piece.
- Fact 1: Nicknamed "Thunder Mug."
- Fact 2: Signal cannons were used by ships coming into harbor, which would signal the authorities in the port to come and inspect the ship before it offloaded goods and crew.
- Fact 3: Thunder mugs were especially useful during the time of the black plague, when incoming ships had to be screened for the disease before crew could go ashore.
- Fact 4: Because signal cannons lacked fuses, they were lit using long poles with wicks on the end.
- Fact 5: Most thunder mugs were made from cast iron or brass.