Vending machines are a classic part of roadside stops. Collectors love these things.
- Fact 1: A 2009 Illinois law imposed a 6.25% tax on candy, but declared any sweet containing flour a "food", not "candy".
- Fact 2: The first vending machine was built by Hero of Alexandria in the 1st century, and dispensed holy water in exchange for coins.
- Fact 3: Modern vending machines began in London in the 1880s with coin-operated post card dispensers and quickly spread worldwide
- Fact 4: The first candy vending machine was introduced in 1888 on a New York subway platform and sold gum to commuters.
- Fact 5: Machines with multiple, selectable goods like this Select-o-vend model first appeared in the mid-20th century.