Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Signal lanterns are always popular. They're historical and beautiful. This is a good buy.
- Fact 1: Small, handheld lanterns were an important means of signalling trains before radio communication was widely available.
- Fact 2: Lanterns of different colors had different signal meanings; the red, yellow, and green lamps carried over into automobile traffic signals.
- Fact 3: Red lanterns were hung outside brothels visited by railroad engineers, in case of emergency. This practice led to the "red light districts" known today.
- Fact 4: Early models were lightly-built oil-burning lanterns, and evolved into heavy-duty electric lamps with magnifying lenses and remote control.
- Fact 5: Railroad lamps and lanterns are some of the most popular and sought-after antiques in the American market. Some models sell for thousands of dollars.