This item can be restored. Please see Murray Atomic Missile Pedal-car/Restoration
This is a great example of Space-age toy design - if you could make it look like a rocket, kids would want it.
- Fact 1: The Murray Ohio Manufacturing Company was founded in 1919, making automotive parts; they began making children's bicycles in the 1930s.
- Fact 2: Murray became synonymous with affordable bicycles in post-war America, and sold millions of bikes under major retailers' brand names.
- Fact 3: Like thousands of other toys of the mid-20th century, the Atomic Missile was designed to capitalize on the growing popularity of atomic science and space travel.
- Fact 4: The quadracycle pedal car was created as an alternative to the instability and single-occupancy of bicycles, and debuted at the World's Fair in 1853.
- Fact 5: With the advent of the automobile, pedal cars were relegated to novelties and children's toys for nearly a hundred years; they have recently grown in popularity in the tourism industry.