The individual objects in this kit seem to all check out, and the condition is near-mint. I'd say you could fetch 8000 for this at auction, maybe more.
- Fact 1: John David Borthwick was born in Scotland in 1824 and later became a notorious gambler during California's gold rush.
- Fact 2: Borthwick was a travel writer, who published "Three Years in California" in 1857.
- Fact 3: Borthwick illustrated his publications with lithographs by his own hand, and was known to fervently sketch his surroundings.
- Fact 4: Borthwick received a large inheritance when he turned 21, which financed his many travels throughout the world.
- Fact 5: "Three Years In California" remains a popular book today, as it provides some of the most entertaining descriptions of life in gold rush California ever told.