This was one of the common guns of the Civil War, but having documents proving provenance makes this one way more valuable.
- Fact 1: Documents show this musket, crafted in 1854 at the Harpers Ferry National Armory, was carried by a Union soldier named Amos Hill in the early stages of the American Civil War.
- Fact 2: Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, was founded in 1750 at a Potomac River crossing; the available water power made it an early candidate for industrialization, and a US Armory was founded there in 1794.
- Fact 3: Abolitionist John Brown led an infamous raid against the Harpers Ferry armory in 1859, intending to spark an armed slave rebellion. The raid was put down by then-US Colonel Robert E. Lee.
- Fact 4: The musket works at Harpers Ferry were destroyed by Confederate forces in 1861, depriving the Union of a vital source of new weapons.
- Fact 5: In the early 20th century, Harpers Ferry gained fame as a resort town. Shifting demographics and freeways changed the Washington, DC area's landscape, and the town currently holds just 307 people.