Gunsmoke was one of the most popular shows on television. People loved it.
- Fact 1: "Gunsmoke" was the longest-running prime time television drama of the 20th century, with 635 episodes spanning 20 seasons from 1955 to 1975.
- Fact 2: Beginning its life as a radio series in 1952, Gunsmoke became for its realistic and often dark depiction of the American Old West.
- Fact 3: Gunsmoke's first episode, airing September 10th, 1955, featured an introduction by Western film star John Wayne.
- Fact 4: Declining ratings in 1967 threatened the future of "Gunsmoke", but pressure from fans (and a network head's wife) led CBS to cut "Gilligan's Island" instead.
- Fact 5: Twelve years after its abrupt cancellation, "Gunsmoke" returned as a TV movie in 1987. Four more TV movies were made through 1994.