"Sports Illustrated is an institution today, but these early issues didn't actually sell well. Today, you could get $1,200 for this set."
- Fact 1: Sports Illustrated, first published by Time-Life's Henry Luce in August 1954, was the first successful national sports magazine.
- Fact 2: Sports Illustrated was one of the first publications to extensively use color photos, and in 1983 became the first all-color weekly magazine.
- Fact 3: One of Sports Illustrated's defining concepts, the long-form "bonus piece" at the end of each issue, helped launch the careers of legendary sports writers like Frank Deford.
- Fact 4: Each year since 1954, Sports illustrated has presented a Sportsman of the Year award. The inaugural recipient was Roger Bannister, the first runner to break a four-minute mile.
- Fact 5: Legendary basketball player Michael Jordan appears on a record 57 Sports Illustrated covers. Muhammad Ali holds the number-two spot with 38 covers.