The W. Child mark and the intricate engraving tell me this is the real deal. Unfortunately, this gun isn't part of a full set, but it'll still fetch a good price.
- Fact 1: Early pistol duels were held using basic traveling pistols, but by the mid-18th century purpose-built dueling sets were widely available.
- Fact 2: Bullets fired from high-caliber dueling pistols caused severe wounds, often comparable to those caused by modern automatic weapons.
- Fact 3: Struck duelists often died days or weeks later as a result of infeted wounds, making even a minor hit dangerous.
- Fact 4: This gun's barrel is the traditional smooth-bore variety, but some less sporting duelists secretly rifled their barrels to increase accuracy.
- Fact 5: Famed poet and duelist Alexander Pushkin survived 29 recorded duels before being shot by his brother-in-law in a duel in 1837.