Antique farm equipment is always popular, and you should have no problem moving this piece. Just keep the kids' hands out of the hopper.
- Fact 1: This corn shucker, or sheller, is hand-cranked and automatically strips kernels from corn ears dropped in the hopper.
- Fact 2: Corn shelling machines could process thousands of ears of corn in a day, greatly reducing the amount of labor for corn farmers and sellers.
- Fact 3: Before the development of mechanical shellers many farming communities distributed the work at shucking bees, which doubled as social events.
- Fact 4: This machine, like many pieces of farm equipment, is very dangerous if used improperly. Even today, 16,000 farm workers are injured every year.
- Fact 5: By weight, more corn is grown worldwide than any other grain. The US alone grows around 350 million tons each year.