This button looks like it was buried and excavated: a lot of rust and dirt but… You've got some genuine Americana here, worth at least 12000.
- Fact 1: Buttons for fastening clothes first appeared in the 13th century in Germany.
- Fact 2: Most Colonial buttons were made to commemorate events and honor leaders.
- Fact 3: The use of buttons in American political campaigns did not begin until 1840.
- Fact 4: The first photographic images on pins were achieved by using the tintype or ferrotype photo process during the 1861 election of Abraham Lincoln.
- Fact 5: Until recently, political campaign buttons would include a portrait of George Washington in addition to the candidate currently running for office.