"While there is nothing extraordinary in the diaries, they are authentic. A collector would probably buy these for $700."
- Fact 1: Soldiers in the Civil War were issued writing quills with their rations.
- Fact 2: Nearly 80% of all soldiers in the Civil War were literate.
- Fact 3: More soldiers died in the Civil War than in any other American conflict to date.
- Fact 4: The script in which most Civil War correspondences were written is called "Copperplate," since the books students learned on were printed with etched copper plates.
- Fact 5: Many soldiers kept diaries to amuse and distract themselves during downtime, since entertainment was not provided for the Armed Forces.