Homemade cannons are a popular garage project these days, but a giant mortar that shoots bowling balls? Sign me up.
- Fact 1: Mortars are generally small, specialized cannons designed for high firing arcs and indirect fire.
- Fact 2: The first recorded mortars were used in the 1453 siege of Constantinople by the Ottomans, and fired stone balls.
- Fact 3: The largest mortar ever used in combat was the 36-inch-diameter French "Monster Mortar", which fired on the city of Antwerp in 1832.
- Fact 4: The first bowling balls, carved from stone, were used by the Egyptians around 5200 BC.
- Fact 5: Modern bowling balls are made from synthetic resins and usually weigh between 6 to 16 pounds.