Babe Ruth was one of the first real sports celebrities, and signed a ton of merchandise. Collectors love this stuff. Being a Yankee I would put $4,500.
- Fact 1: George Herman "Babe" Ruth, Jr., born February 6, 1895, held world records in home runs, batting percentage, RBIs, and on-base hits by the end of his 22 seasons in Major League Baseball.
- Fact 2: Ruth became the first player to hit 60 home runs in a single season in 1927, and hit a record 714 home runs in his career. Both records stood for over thirty years.
- Fact 3: Ruth's popularity helped change the face of professional baseball, turning a fast-paced, defensive game into one dominated by heavy hitters and high scores.
- Fact 4: While other players were popular within their respective sports, Ruth's charisma and lifestyle made him the first American sports celebrity to carry his fame off the field.
- Fact 5: A 1999 ESPN poll ranked Ruth the third greatest athlete in American history, behind Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali.