Penny scales were incredibly popular during the first half of the 20th century, so this in and of itself is not a rare or collectible item. However, the condition on this piece is great, and it matches one of the most popular styles.
- Fact 1: Penny scales were popular in America during the first half of the 1900s, when many Americans were worried about not weighing enough.
- Fact 2: Penny scales were some of the first opportunities Americans had to be weighed outside of a doctor's office.
- Fact 3: Many penny scales have a dial that lets the user guess their weight, and refunds their penny if their guess was correct.
- Fact 4: Because of the world's fascination with King Tut’s tomb in the 1920s, many scales from that era have an Egyptian theme.
- Fact 5: One of the rarest scales collected today has a series of records, and finds the proper groove that corresponds to a track playing your weight.