I am able to determine this thermometer is dated prior to 1880, as it reads in Reamur, Celsius and Fahrenheit. It's carefully crafted out of milk glass and in excellent shape.
- Fact 1: The first temperature scale was introduced by Sir Issac Newton in 1701.
- Fact 2: Mercury thermometers became standard in the 18th century.
- Fact 3: "Thermometer" comes from the Greek "therme meter" meaning "to measure heat."
- Fact 4: No single person has been credited with the invention of the thermometer. Examples of the science behind thermometers persist all the way back to ancient Greece.
- Fact 5: Gallileo Galilei popularized something he called a "thermoscope", which used globes of alcohol suspended in a tube of water to convey changes in temperature.