Spinning wheels have become popular decorations for people going for a rustic, country, or old-world theme, and as a result we've seen a big demand for these in the world of home decorating.
- Fact 1: The spinning wheel, developed in Asia around 1000 AD, is used to turn soft fibers into thread or yarn.
- Fact 2: Traditional hand or foot-powered wheels of this style were widely used until the 18th century, when they were replaced by industrial machinery.
- Fact 3: In the folktale Rumpelstiltskin, a miller's daughter uses a wheel to spin straw into golden thread.
- Fact 4: Early versions of India's national flag featured a type of spinning wheel called a "charkha."
- Fact 5: Automatic water-powered spinning wheels were present in China as early as the 14th century.