Portable printing presses like this were not very common. They were expensive at the time, and not many people saw the value in them. This one is in great condition, so it should be valuable to collectors.
- Fact 1: Thomas Gutenberg pioneered movable type in 1439, and in doing so also invented the world's first printing press.
- Fact 2: Printing presses consist of a bed, into which the type is arranged to make a page. The type is inked, and then pressed against paper using a variety of mechanisms.
- Fact 3: The Kelsey Company specialized in portable and tabletop printing presses, manufacturing various models between 1875 and 1975.
- Fact 4: The Kelsey Company manufactured compact printing presses in 3x5, 5x8, 4x6, and 6x10 inch sizes.
- Fact 5: During the Industrial Revolution, large iron printing presses were coupled with steam power to produce rotary presses that could generate millions of pages per day rather than thousands.