I honestly do not know what to say about this. I can tell you that it's real, but other than that, I have no comment.
- Fact 1: Before indoor plumbing became common, this toilet-like chair was designed to hold a chamber pot.
- Fact 2: This style of chair has had many names over the years, including "necessary stool", "night stool", "convenience", and "commode."
- Fact 3: The term "potty" comes from the removable pot placed underneath chairs of this type.
- Fact 4: Some more elaborate designs of the day folded into inconspicuous cabinets and tables; this chair has a simple seat-lid.
- Fact 5: Chairs like this one were common in American homes until the widespread use of flush toilets in the mid-20th century.