Football collectors are some of the most dedicated collectors that exist. This is a really great piece in fantastic condition, and would look great in a man cave or sports den.
- Fact 1: Several different people have been identified as the original inventor of the football helmet, including a Navy soldier who needed head protection on doctor's orders for the annual Army/Navy game.
- Fact 2: Head protection was not mandatory in college football until 1939 or in the NFL until 1943.
- Fact 3: Football helmets were originally called "head harnesses".
- Fact 4: The modern plastic helmet was developed in 1939 by John T. Riddell, of the Riddell sporting goods company, which is the supplier of the most widely used helmet in the NFL today.
- Fact 5: The first person to design a face mask with bars for a football helmet was Vern McMillan, who owned a sporting goods store in Terre Haute, Indiana.