This is the signature of the Stubbs barrel maker, so I'm confident that these pistols are from around 1800. I'd say they are worth about 10000.
- Fact 1: Dueling pistols were specially designed to shorten the time between pulling the trigger and actually firing a bullet.
- Fact 2: Pistol duels became prominent in mid-1700s. Previously, duels were fought with swords.
- Fact 3: The dueler who was challenged had the right to choose weapons.
- Fact 4: Each participant in a duel required a "second" who would check both sets of weapons to ensure the fairness of the duel.
- Fact 5: Alexander Hamilton, first Secretary of Treasury and Founding Father, was killed in a pistol duel with Aaron Burr in 1804.