This item can be restored. Please see Antique Coffee Grinder/Restoration
This is high quality cast-iron, which explains why it survived the years in such great condition. Mechanically, there's nothing wrong with it at all. You should be able to restore it relatively cheaply.
- Fact 1: The earliest evidence of coffee drinking people appears in the Sufi monasteries of Yemen.
- Fact 2: The United States has been the #1 importer of coffee since 1850, followed by Germany.
- Fact 3: Coffee was unpopular in the 16th century, due to its association with the Muslim world, until Pope Clement VIII deemed it a "christian drink" in 1600.
- Fact 4: The coarsest coffee grinds are used in french presses, while the finest coffee grinds are used in espresso and Turkish coffee makers.
- Fact 5: Fairbanks-Morse, based in Chicago, was originally a manufacturer of weighing scales before they diversified into other products.