This item can be restored. Please see Antique Barber's Chair/Restoration
Antique barber chairs are becoming more and more popular with collectors, hobbyists, and even trendy barber shops. This one is in great condition.
- Fact 1: Though there were several inventors and pioneers of early barber chairs, the first fully functional, hydraulic chairs were invented by Ernest Koken in 1900.
- Fact 2: Early manufacturers of mechanical barber's chairs include Archer, Koch, Kline and Berninghaus, all from the late 1800s to early 1900s.
- Fact 3: Before the advent of mechanical hydraulic chairs, barber shops used ornately carved and comfortably cushioned wooden chairs that lacked the ability to swivel or rise.
- Fact 4: Two Berninghaus "Hercules" barber chairs were used as props in the 1940 Charlie Chaplin film "The Great Dictator", and sold in 2003 for $6100.
- Fact 5: Several patents and even a lawsuit were filed during the late 1800s and early 1900s, while barber's chairs were rapidly being invented, improved, and manufactured by several different companies and inventors.