Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The coin has definitely been circulated, as you can see from the wear around the detail. It's not in immaculate condition, but it doesn't have to be. Collectors will still want it.
- Fact 1: The two dollar Newfoundland gold coin is the only gold coin put into circulation by a British colony.
- Fact 2: The coin was originally intended to be worth one Newfoundland dollar, but due to concerns that it would be lost due to the size and value, it was raised to two dollars.
- Fact 3: The diameter of this coin is 17.98mm. For an idea of scale, the United States dime is 17.91mm, while the Canadian dime is 18.03mm.
- Fact 4: Over 70,000 of these coins were minted in total, but only 2,500 were minted in 1880, the lowest mintage of any year the coin was manufactured.
- Fact 5: Despite being circulated and used only in North America, these coins were minted almost exclusively in London, England.