I've seen a number of these in my time, and I can tell you that this is the genuine article. Authentic rings rarely come onto the market, so hang onto this one. The right collector will come along.
- Fact 1: The Super Bowl ring has been given to players, staff, and friends and family of the winning team since the first Super Bowl in 1966.
- Fact 2: The NFL pays for 150 Super Bowl rings each year; the team may purchase more if needed, at a cost of around $5000 each.
- Fact 3: Rings with alternate designs, such as those given to cheerleaders and former players, sell for much less than "true" Super Bowl rings.
- Fact 4: Team manager Neal Dahlen holds a record 7 Super Bowl rings, earning 5 with the San Francisco 49ers and 2 with the Denver Broncos.
- Fact 5: New York Jets center John Schmitt lost his Super Bowl ring while surfing in Hawaii in 1971. It was found and returned to him in 2011.