Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This item can be restored. Please see 1963 Volkswagen Baja Bug/Restoration
Well, this thing's not in the best shape, but with a little work you could get it up and running. You could even make it raceworthy.
- Fact 1: The Volkswagen Type 1, or Beetle, was produced continuously from 1938 to 2003. More than 21 million Beetles were built, making it the most-manufactured car in history.
- Fact 2: Originally designed by Erwin Komenda and Karl Rabe for Porche, the Type I was unveiled as the Kraft durch Freude-Wagen (from the German for "Strength Through Joy") by Adolf Hitler in 1938.
- Fact 3: The air-cooled rear engine of the Beetle is reliable and easily-repaired, making it a favorite among auto modifiers and particularly well-suited for dry, hot environments.
- Fact 4: Though the first Baja Bug was built in California in 1968, Nazi engineers built notably similar off-road versions of the Beetle for use in Africa during WWII.
- Fact 5: California cartoonist Dave Deal entered the first racing Baja Bug in the 1968 Mexican 1000, a race running the length of the Baja California peninsula.