As long as there have been taxes, people have needed help doing them.
- Fact 1: This book, entitled "Your Income Tax: How to Keep it Down", guided readers through the process of filing a tax return.
- Fact 2: The J.K. Lasser Institute has published annual editions of "Your Income Tax" since 1936, selling almost 40 million copies as of 2011.
- Fact 3: Around half of American taxpayers prepare their own returns with help from guide books or websites like Turbotax.com.
- Fact 4: 25,870 individual tax returns were filed in the US in 1941; the total taxable income nationwide was $842,753 (just over $12 million in today's dollars).
- Fact 5: In 1941, those in the lowest tax bracket paid a 10% tax rate. The highest bracket (those making over $5 million) paid 81%.