Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Now this is a piece of technology you don't see anymore. There are a few people out there who would pay some serious money for this.
- Fact 1: Before the advent of graphical displays, computer data was input and stored on physical punch cards.
- Fact 2: Punchcard programming was first developed in the early 18th century and was used to program mechanisms such as player pianos and textile looms.
- Fact 3: Herman Hollerith patented one of the first automatic keypunch machines in 1901, and his company (which later became IBM) grew to dominate the industry.
- Fact 4: Punchcards became a ubiquitous part of data entry and storage in the mid-20th century and were widely used until the 1980s.
- Fact 5: Though made obsolete by magnetic storage in the 1980s, the reliability and low cost of punchcards are still preferred in areas such as ballot counting and standardized testing.