This item can be restored. Please see 1930s Slot Machine/Restoration
I'm amazed that the gears and machinery are in such good, working condition. It should fetch a great price at auction.
- Fact 1: The first slot machine was invented in 1895; it was made of cast iron and weighed over 100 pounds.
- Fact 2: Early slot machines dispensed candy or gum in order to appear legal, but most owners simply exchanged these trinkets for cash to encourage gambling.
- Fact 3: Famous slot machine symbols, such as cherries, melons, and the BAR symbol, derive from this era. BAR was an early version of the Bell-Fruit Gum Company's logo.
- Fact 4: Slot machines quickly gained the nickname "one-armed bandits" due to their single, prominent lever and their tendency to "rob" their customers.
- Fact 5: Clever gamblers have devised dozens of ways to cheat at slot machines in the past, including coins attached to wires that they could insert and then pull out of the machine.