The first tax return, huh? I wish I was paying this little. So I say $15.
- Fact 1: The 16th Amendment to the US Constitution, passed in 1913, gave Congress the permanent power to collect income taxes.
- Fact 2: Total tax revenue passed one billion dollars for the first time in 1918, and peaked in 2007 at over $2.5 trillion.
- Fact 3: The IRS began with the Commisioner of Internal Revenue, a position created by President Lincoln during the US Civil War.
- Fact 4: In 1913, only households earning more than $3000 (around $70,000 in today's dollars) were instructed to file.
- Fact 5: Early returns could take years to process (1917 returns were still being processed in 1919). Today, online processing can take as little as 7 days.