Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Incunables are the first printed books in western history. This one has some odd inconsistencies, but it's still worth $4,000."
- Fact 1: An incunable, from the Latin "incunabula", for "cradle", is a printed book produced before the year 1501 -- the earliest stages in the development of printed works.
- Fact 2: As of 2008, there are approximately 30,000 distinct editions of incunable books in existence. The Bavarian State Library in Munich, Germany currently houses over 20,000 individual incunables.
- Fact 3: The most famous incunable is the Gutenberg Bible, the first successful movable-type printed book in Europe. 48 Gutenberg Bibles are still known to exist.
- Fact 4: There are two types of incunable: those printed using moveable type, and those printed using single-piece blocks. Some scholars argue the term only applies to the moveable-type books.
- Fact 5: Because of the massive expense of early printing, incunables were only made in 282 cities spanning 20 modern European countries.