You've done well to frame it. Silk is very fragile, and if not taken care of, it will deteriorate rapidly. This is one of the best campaign ribbons of this era I've ever seen.
- Fact 1: It was US Senator William H. Seward from New York, and not Abraham Lincoln, who was favored to win the Republican nomination in 1860.
- Fact 2: Abraham Lincoln won the election without carrying a single Southern state, and wasn't even on the ballot in any secessionist states except Virginia.
- Fact 3: About a month after Lincoln's election, eleven Southern states declared their secession from the United States of America, triggering the Civil War.
- Fact 4: In addition to Northern Democratic and Republican candidates, the 1860 election also had candidates from the Constitutional Union party and the Southern Democratic party.
- Fact 5: Lincoln's Vice President in the 1860 election, Hannibal Hamlin, was replaced by Andrew Johnson as Vice President only a month before Lincoln's death.