This was one of the first modern novels, and the best-selling book in history after the Bible. An early edition should fetch a pretty penny.
- Fact 1: Miguel de Cervantes' "The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha" was first published in two volumes in 1605 and 1615.
- Fact 2: The first English translation of "Don Quixote", by Thomas Shelton, was first published in 1620. This is the fourth edition of that translation, published in 1731.
- Fact 3: In 2002, the World Library compiled an unranked list of the 100 best books of all time. Nonetheless, "Don Quixote" was named "best literary work ever written".
- Fact 4: "Don Quixote" is the tale of a retired Spanish gentleman who imagines himself to be a great knight in a chivalrous world and the adventures he seeks out.
- Fact 5: In the second volume Quixote interacts with many people who have read the first book, including some of Cervantes' critics (who Quixote quickly dismisses).